When we look into the Server Environment and some of the Server Architectures on how Organizations maintain, scale and optimize Server Environment, we see that there is involvement of more than one single Server Machine. The minimal Server Environment may have,
- A Primary Domain Controller
- One or more Additional Domain Controllers
- One or more Clients
- One or more Application Server
- If Terminal Servers used, one or more Terminal Servers and one Terminal Licensing Server
- File Server if there is a need to store any critical data (May also host SQL Server)
Managing and Scaling Servers
Well, there is no any difficulty in drawing the architecture and finding out which is best to fit the Organization needs. The most difficult parts are,
- How much can you scale the currently built architecture and manage the current architecture
- How are you going to Manage the Servers, once the Architecture is scaled
- How interoperable the Manageability is going to stay between several versions of Server Architecture been built
Microsoft System Center
Microsoft has come out with very good products for the above and you can find them in the Microsoft System Center Products
The primary goal for System Center is to manage the IT Infrastructure with proper Tools and Knowledge Base. System Center also helps in optimizing the IT Infrastructure Cost by providing proper and reliable solutions to IT Infrastructure.
I would also explain in detail on the above two products in my blog, on how they can help Manage the Servers.