- There will be a central SMS Primary Site from where we would be managing our Servers. Here Server refers to any machine, be a Domain Controller (or) Application Server (or) File Server etc.,
- As you can see, there are SMS Clients installed in all the Servers. These SMS Clients using Microsoft BITS, interact with the SMS Primary Site in providing Information requested.
- The main functionalities of SMS Server have also been shown, which are,
- Hardware Inventory Management
- Software Inventory Management
- Software Distribution
- Software Metering
Microsoft SMS Implementation
- As you can see, the Primary Site controls all the SMS Clients. There can also be a Secondary Site been set to manage another set of Servers. Even with a Secondary Site, the implementation part would be as in the picture, except that this time the Seconday Site will be associated with the Primary Site.
- If you compare SMS Implementation as how one would implement Active Directory Services, it helps a lot 🙂
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.5 License